Current Server Time: 17:04 (Central Europe)

#apertus IRC Channel Logs

2014/10/26

Timezone: UTC


00:00
troy_s
__anton__: Basically all FIZ gak needs those rods, as well as matte box etc.
00:00
Rebelj12a
Equal spaced dual thread hole would be preferable to me. More secure for things like gimbals and such.
00:00
troy_s
__anton__: So not only the bottom, but also that aspect. Then there is top plate for accessories and, more importantly, underslung plates for Steadi etc.
00:01
troy_s
Rebelj12a: Seriously, I think I know what I am talking about.
00:01
__anton__
troy_s: so you'd say modelling everything on Arri Alexa is a safe bet?
00:01
__anton__
troy_s: holes in the bottom, holes in the top?
00:01
troy_s
__anton__: That hole system is virtually universal.
00:01
Rebelj12a
Seriously, modeling too much after the Arri is going to draw parallels from a sales perspective and isn't good. Open Source should be the main focus.
00:02
troy_s
__anton__: Look up Ronford Baker quick release plates.
00:02
Rebelj12a
Something accessible to all even those who will never see the arri in their lifetime.
00:02
troy_s
God.
00:03
Rebelj12a
Granted open source plans for a plate or switchout plate is probably a good idea.
00:03
troy_s
Rebelj12a: Right. I will bite because I am feeling energetic. So you are saying that an independent filmmaker has enough money to buy a matte box kit, filter glass, follows and FIZ units, and custom quick release plates.
00:03
troy_s
You are so seriously out of your depth sir.
00:03
Rebelj12a
Yes, not FIZ units, I dont have those.
00:04
__anton__
troy_s: thx for the info. BTW I guess if the guys ship Axiom Beta as designed now + an alum spacer brick to create an Arri Alexa style bottom - that would take care of 2/3 of the problem
00:04
Rebelj12a
I have custom quick release plates for the DJI ronin and Redrock Micro.
00:04
Rebelj12a
Antons got the idea.
00:04
troy_s
__anton__: I said Alexa simply because they offer specs
00:04
troy_s
Rebelj12a: Right. I don't.
00:04
__anton__
troy_s: and that was very useful, thx
00:05
Rebelj12a
Ok dude chill im not saying you dont?
00:05
troy_s
__anton__: You will find the exact same holes for mounting rod plates and such on every other camera.
00:05
troy_s
__anton__: So your interchange and cost / rental etc. is optimal.
00:05
__anton__
troy_s: I understand
00:06
troy_s
Filter glass being nightmarishly expensive to buy. Let alone 6x6 etc.
00:07
__anton__
troy_s: is 6x6 also a filter size?
00:08
Rebelj12a
Huge, my redrock only has 4x5
00:08
Rebelj12a
I dont doubt they exist
00:09
Rebelj12a
Yeah arri, Cavision have 6x6
00:09
__anton__
Rebelj12a: just googling Redrock, they sound expensive :)
00:09
Rebelj12a
D: they are
00:09
troy_s
Tiffin and Mitchell make them.
00:09
Rebelj12a
I can honestly say though, possibly not for how much they cost.
00:10
Rebelj12a
Not the most satisfied with the shoulder/studio rig
00:10
troy_s
Schneider too probably.
00:10
troy_s
Redrock is pretty indie.
00:11
Rebelj12a
High end indie for most. Then again I didnt know what I neded then.
00:11
Rebelj12a
Yeah I could have had the whole shoulder rig for the RED for alot less than the RedrockMicro
00:11
Rebelj12a
wasnt a good deal, didnt know any better then
00:14
troy_s
Yes. Most folks with RR buy the gak.
00:14
troy_s
Although it can be economical to get a package from a rental house, and gain the extra quality. Sometimes it can be had for close to free with a little care and love.
00:14
troy_s
(Rental house depending of course.)
00:16
Rebelj12a
The gak?
00:16
troy_s
Hence the need for compatible rod placement mount points etc; the most important aspect is the other gak that makes a camera actually useful for cinema.
00:16
troy_s
Crap.
00:17
Rebelj12a
Either way I took the advice of a friend of mine whom I no longer take advice from so.
00:18
troy_s
LOL
00:18
troy_s
Sadly, most of the vendors out there are trying to sell crap.
00:18
troy_s
And not exactly help independent artists make their work.
00:18
Rebelj12a
Indeed, especially one whos disabled, Which the shoulder mount was supposed to help. So much for that.
00:18
Rebelj12a
Thing is heav
00:18
troy_s
Houses on the other hand, generally always have a few peeps with their feet in the indie scene and really want to help.
00:18
Rebelj12a
heavy
00:19
troy_s
Most shoulder kits on set are... A piece of foam.
00:20
Rebelj12a
Yeah thats the issue, we have nothing around here, not for that kind of stuff.
00:20
troy_s
A good matte box and a piece of foam work tremendously well.
00:20
troy_s
Grab the matte and go.
00:21
Rebelj12a
I can honestly tell you theres only one other active video company in the state, that advertises online (i.e. doesnt already have corporate contracts). Who has better equipment than I do. Which is pretty sad to be honest.
00:21
Rebelj12a
Gak endless chords, yeah...... thats accurate...
00:22
wescotte
Rebelj12a: What state?
00:22
Rebelj12a
Wisconsin
00:23
wescotte
I'm in Wisconsin
00:23
Rebelj12a
The only one I know of is in Green Bay
00:23
Rebelj12a
they got cranes and stuff. Otherwise everyone is pretty closed doors so I assume they have corporate contracts.
00:23
wescotte
There are several rental houses here in Milwaukee
00:24
wescotte
and quite a few production houses
00:24
Rebelj12a
Yeah and minneapolis.
00:24
Rebelj12a
Hey if you have time could you send me some links or names. Id like to check them out.
00:25
troy_s
__anton__: Good work on finding that doc. If you find the F65 I am willing to wager the placement is identical.
00:25
Rebelj12a
In any case, I didnt have any support then where I am so. In any case, looking back id definitely get a lighter rig. More versatile and probably less expensive than redrock.
00:26
wescotte
Rebelj12a: I've personally rented from North American Camera before http://www.nacamera.com/ and Blue Moon Lighting http://www.bluemoonlights.com/Home.html
00:26
troy_s
__anton__: And yes, that is the locator pin hole.
00:27
Rebelj12a
Hey thanks I appreciate it. Although for the cost of rentals I just cant justify renting and learning within a few days something new for a specific project.
00:27
troy_s
__anton__: That doc would probably be valuable on the Wiki or Phabricator, as it has the correct distance to lens from plate.
00:28
troy_s
Rebelj12a: Betting those houses have folks that will offer some gak for free.
00:28
__anton__
troy_s: yes, I'll link the doc from wiki of phabricator.. just figuring out the best place.. wiki has changed a bit today :)
00:29
__anton__
troy_s: I learn as I speak to you, thx a lot :)
00:29
Rebelj12a
Yeah and ive turned to fabricating my own cables as well to save.
00:29
Rebelj12a
Document saved btw, im in the process of reorganizing the wiki. Going to have a revamp sometime soon.
00:30
wescotte
Rebelj12a: NAC is pretty cool and probably willing to let to you come in and play with the gear to get comfortable with it. When we rented for our school we got to go in and get a little workshop and play with the gear
00:30
Rebelj12a
Its not the gak really thats the issue, its the rig itself, the damn thing is so heavy.
00:31
Rebelj12a
Thats cool wescotte if I can ever get in the area id definitely be up for that.
00:31
__anton__
Rebelj12a: if I could learn some jargon from you.. what is a gak?
00:31
Rebelj12a
Ask troy, i just google searched it lol
00:31
Rebelj12a
endless endless cables apparantly is what it means
00:31
Rebelj12a
Throwing that in the wiki for sure.
00:32
Bertl
if you want to research jargon, troy_s the man :)
00:32
Rebelj12a
As it is im just trying to get used to the DJI Ronin, although I think mine is defective.
00:32
Bertl
I usually have to google a word every second line
00:34
wescotte
left the channel
00:35
__anton__
Bertl: you mentioned that the sensor board connects to main board via a connector board.. the design does not allow for a cable instead of it does it?
00:36
wescotte
joined the channel
00:36
Bertl
our design won't have a cable there, but the design itself certainly permits a cable
00:37
Bertl
i.e. sensor board <- header -> interface board <- cable -> beta board
00:37
__anton__
and then there's Zedboard?
00:37
Bertl
the 'cable' needs to transport 36 LVDS pairs and about 16 CMOS I/Os
00:37
Rebelj12a
hm
00:37
__anton__
I mean microzed?
00:38
__anton__
sensor, interface, beta, microzed?
00:38
Bertl
yes, the microzed connects directly to the beta board
00:38
__anton__
but the headers you use between sensor and interface do not allow to plug in a cable?
00:38
Bertl
I will have a schematic with hard values soon
00:39
__anton__
there are some 64 wire twisted pair cables around
00:39
__anton__
some round some flat
00:39
Bertl
s/header/mezzanine connector/ sorry my fault
00:39
__anton__
but I guess the cables can only be easily terminated with IDC headers
00:40
__anton__
IDC connectors
00:40
troy_s
Bertl: Jerk. Like every second word out of you is jargon too.
00:40
troy_s
Sheesh.
00:40
troy_s
We just come from different jargon junk piles.
00:40
Bertl
troy_s: indeed
00:41
troy_s
__anton__: That doc is hugely good for measurements though. If there is a like F65 or other cine camera PDF it would be great. This measurements should match though.
00:41
Bertl
__anton__: you would probably need something well shielded though
00:42
Bertl
probably the best approach would be a flex PCB with the very same connectors soldered on
00:42
troy_s
Gak is like Aks: Junk. Stuff. Crap.
00:42
troy_s
(AKS is actually "all kinds of s*it")
00:44
Rebelj12a
So when you have GAK for the AKS it starts to get expensive. lol
00:45
troy_s
It is all expensive really. Even the most useless crap is expensive, and more expensive if you don't have it.
00:52
__anton__
troy_s: this seems to be the bottom of an F55 http://s017.radikal.ru/i437/1410/fd/4e7981392f95.jpg
00:52
__anton__
a screenshot from youtube
00:52
__anton__
the lady is putting on an adapter kit made by ARRI
00:53
troy_s
__anton__: Sony tends to be more conservative with their information, hence why I suggested Arri originally.
00:53
troy_s
__anton__: But if anyone can find it, they are likely lurking here.
00:54
troy_s
Pretty sure the distance on those two 3/8ths is the same as the Arri.
00:57
__anton__
troy_s: thanks so much for the info, I'm sure it will be very useful
00:58
troy_s
__anton__: No clue. But the housing's design will need to accommodate that existing gear.
01:51
__anton__
Bertl: would IDC connectors work between interface board and its neighbours?
01:51
__anton__
if they were IDC then the interface board could be replaced by a couple of cables directly
01:52
__anton__
hmm... lots of connectors - two on each side.. but would it work?
01:52
Bertl
the purpose of the interface board is to preprocess the sensor data
01:52
__anton__
sorry, it's getting late
01:52
Bertl
so replacing that is not the best idea :)
01:52
__anton__
between the sensor board and the interface board?
01:52
__anton__
could these be two long IDC connectors?
01:53
Bertl
long as in long cable or what?
01:53
__anton__
I mean two connectors, 64 pin each
01:53
__anton__
or smth like that
01:54
Bertl
and yes, you could probably put cables there as well, but they would need to have a lot of wires and reasonable shielding/impedance
01:54
Bertl
LOL @64 pin
01:54
Bertl
the currently planned connectors have 144 pins each
01:55
Bertl
(between sensor board and interface board that is)
01:56
__anton__
36 LVDS + 16 I/O = 94 pins?
01:56
__anton__
2 * 64pin connector should cover this?
01:56
Bertl
first, that's the interface board to beta board LVDS count
01:56
Bertl
secondly, you need shielding between the pairs
01:57
Bertl
and finally, you need to get power to the boards as well
01:57
Bertl
I wouldn't suggest to separate sensor and interface board
01:57
Bertl
one of the main purposes of the interface board is to allow having different connections between interface board and beta board
01:58
__anton__
sorry I must have gotten myself confused
01:58
Bertl
so if you want to put a cable somewhere, then there is the best place
01:58
__anton__
these are the cables I had in mind
01:58
__anton__
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/!ut/p/c1/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz94NS8-NBg_Qj9KLP4IC8Py1BTI2MDf3NjFwPPYD83SydjZ-NgIwP9ggxHRQAhtIRH/?PC_Z7_RJH9U5230O73D0ISNF9B3C3SI1000000_nid=30BSKT7WBKit6Z44P5GPWMglMX7WG02RWSbl
01:58
__anton__
so the best place for the cable is between the interface board and beta board?
01:58
Bertl
precisely
01:59
__anton__
these cables have an outer jacket and up to 34 twisted pairs inside
01:59
Bertl
lowest IO count, and both sides are completely under our control
01:59
Bertl
twisted pairs is essential (at least for longer distances) but you also want separate shielding for each pair
02:00
Bertl
what frequency are those cables designed for?
02:00
__anton__
so these cables are not what I want?
02:00
__anton__
distance is 20 cm max
02:00
__anton__
maybe less
02:00
__anton__
but the cable can not be shorter than 22cm
02:00
Bertl
because?
02:01
__anton__
22cm is the length of the twisted section
02:01
__anton__
then they have 5cm of non-twisted section
02:01
__anton__
you can only attach the connector to the non-twisted section
02:01
__anton__
unless you want to manually pick each wire :)
02:02
__anton__
but there's no shielding between the pairs
02:02
__anton__
heh, it's really getting late; 20cm is the _min_ length
02:03
Bertl
the missing shielding and the round cable makes me a uneasy
02:03
Bertl
-a
02:03
Bertl
a flat cable with shielding wires would probably be much better suited
02:04
Bertl
but I'm pretty sure the planned design can accomodate any wire between interface and beta board
02:05
Bertl
you just won't be able to use the full bandwidth
02:05
__anton__
that's a shame, pretty much rules out one new cool body I had in mind :)
02:06
__anton__
non-round cables exist, though they are pretty wide 67mm for 25 pairs
02:06
__anton__
and still no shielding between pairs
02:07
__anton__
http://ex-en.alliedelec.com/images/products/datasheets/bm/3M_INTERCONNECT_SOLUTIONS/70114353.pdf
02:07
Bertl
there are 0.5 and even 0.3mm spaced flat cables (FPC/FFC)
02:09
__anton__
Bert: thx for advising me on that
02:09
__anton__
btw did initially you planned that interface and sensor boards would be the same didn't you?
02:11
Bertl
even worse, the original plan was to put the sensor on the beta board
02:23
Rebelj12a
left the channel
02:52
wescotte
left the channel
02:53
Rebelj12a
joined the channel
02:16
__anton__
left the channel
03:18
Bertl
off to bed now ... have a good one everyone!
07:37
se6astian|away
changed nick to: se6astian
07:41
se6astian
good morning
08:21
toxitobi
joined the channel
08:22
toxitobi
Hello
08:22
se6astian
hi there
08:24
toxitobi
I was thinking about the housing of the beta,
08:24
toxitobi
Do I need to register to the wiki to participate?
08:26
se6astian
yes please
08:26
toxitobi
And is there a way to see the Screws in the PCBs so that one could actually do a drawing?
08:28
se6astian
we have the 3D CAD files on github
08:28
se6astian
or you can look at them in this interactive viewer
08:28
se6astian
https://grabcad.com/library/axiom-beta-enclosure-v02-3-1/files
08:28
se6astian
"3D View"
08:29
se6astian
if you want to participate in the enclosure defining discussion please also check out our latest platform that we are still evaluating with the team
08:29
se6astian
http://lab.apertus.org
08:29
se6astian
there is this http://lab.apertus.org/T3
08:29
se6astian
http://lab.apertus.org/T66
08:29
se6astian
http://lab.apertus.org/T28
08:29
se6astian
any ideas/opinions/thoughts are welcome
08:30
se6astian
we need user input to be able to make it a users camera :)
08:33
toxitobi
I saw the different needs from people eg devs and photographers. So my Idea would be to mount the electronics on a tray that is screwd dircetly to the back of of the lensmount. So it possible to change the style of the housing really quickly all you need is a lens mount somewhere.
08:33
toxitobi
But this well be going on the the wiki to ;-)
08:37
se6astian
great
08:38
toxitobi
We'll see if it's possible to still have an adjustable backfocus
08:39
se6astian
currently its not planned to have adjustable back focus
08:39
se6astian
would be pretty tricky to implement mechanically
08:40
se6astian
we just make sure the lens mounts have perfect FFD
08:42
toxitobi
I'm curious how you would like to overcome manufacturer tolerances? I'm a machine engineer and I think if we talk about perfekt. Is it a tolerance nearly to +-0,01 or less than that?
08:45
toxitobi
always keep in mind you need a more accurate measurement device than the actual tolerance you want to achieve. so you would need to have a 0,005 exact device to make sure that your +-0,01 is ok. this means most of the times 20C° in the lab and so on.
08:48
toxitobi
but first it's important to see whats a perfekt FFD and then find out how good it has to be.
09:21
se6astian
Please also vote here: http://lab.apertus.org/V3
09:22
se6astian
maybe you have suggestions to add about those tolerances in the wiki/lab
09:30
toxitobi
Yeah I'm just waiting for the e-mail... and found out that you are using inventor.
09:42
toxitobi
which version of inventor are you using?
09:59
se6astian
2013 I think
09:59
se6astian
account verification email you mean?
09:59
se6astian
should arrive instantly actually
10:01
toxitobi
Yeah it's here and done. Okay then I'll get 2013 not that in the end things I do can't be opened by everyone else
10:01
se6astian
great :)
10:02
se6astian
latest inventor files are on github
10:02
se6astian
https://github.com/apertus-open-source-cinema/beta-hardware/tree/master/Enclosure/Version%20002
10:04
se6astian
also invited you to the development mailing list
10:09
toxitobi
thank you is this by mail?
10:10
se6astian
yes, its a mailing list
10:19
se6astian
updated
10:19
se6astian
https://wiki.apertus.org/index.php?title=AXIOM_Beta
10:40
Bertl
morning folks!
10:45
aombk
joined the channel
10:45
aombk
back
11:08
se6astian
hello there
11:08
se6astian
please help research CNC mill products
11:08
se6astian
https://wiki.apertus.org/index.php?title=Compact_CNC_Mill_Evaluation
11:10
Bertl
I've sent email to microproto twice, they haven't replied yet, maybe they are out of business or simply not interested in selling a mill :)
11:11
Bertl
I think we actually want a precision mill, not just a CNC mill, so that we can make small and very precise parts
11:14
se6astian
added
11:14
se6astian
what precision are we aiming at?
11:17
se6astian
would it make sense to get a 5 axis lathe/mill combination?
11:17
se6astian
I saw these guys want to offer something like that
11:17
se6astian
http://www.pocketnc.com/products/
11:17
se6astian
but they are still preparing a crowd funding campaign and will not have an actual product until 2015
11:21
aombk
the 5 axis means it can move in three axis and rotate in two?
11:22
toxitobi
Yes you can do 3d curves and shapes with it.
11:25
toxitobi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLvMFH7wknw 4:21 is interesting
11:26
se6astian
gotta go
11:27
se6astian
please add anything you find to the wiki page
11:27
aombk
these machines are great
11:30
se6astian
changed nick to: se6astian|away
11:40
toxitobi
left the channel
11:40
danieel
left the channel
11:52
toxitobi
joined the channel
11:54
jucar1
joined the channel
11:54
alexML_
joined the channel
11:55
baldand_
joined the channel
11:56
jucar
left the channel
11:56
baldand
left the channel
11:56
alexML
left the channel
12:39
Rebelj12a
http://gizmodo.com/compact-ssds-that-outperform-the-fastest-usb-flash-driv-1649957047
12:41
Bertl
yeah, but a) requires USB 3.0, and b) 450MB/s isn't that fast for raw recording :)
12:42
toxitobi
updated: https://wiki.apertus.org/index.php?title=Cooling
12:55
Rebelj12a
left the channel
12:57
Bertl
toxitobi: a little restructuring and beautification would be nice
12:57
Rebelj12a
joined the channel
12:57
Rebelj12a
If USB drives exist though they should exist at that size as a part separate from USB controller.
12:59
Rebelj12a
left the channel
13:01
Bertl
btw, 'My solution' is not that self explanatory as one might think :)
13:01
toxitobi
hmm you mean evrything? Have to find out how to write wiki language... Let's see what I can do.
13:01
Bertl
yeah, use proper lists, etc, wiki is rather simple
13:05
troy_s
left the channel
13:05
troy_s
joined the channel
13:17
g3gg0
left the channel
13:22
Rebelj12a
joined the channel
13:22
Rebelj12a
Someone might find this interesting...
13:22
Rebelj12a
Added pictures to my public album. Lens circuit board from a 28-80 canon EF lens
13:23
Rebelj12a
http://imgur.com/a/2jGiV
13:23
Rebelj12a
Plus lens gearing mechanism
13:23
Rebelj12a
left the channel
13:25
g3gg0
joined the channel
14:05
danieel
joined the channel
15:07
toxitobi
left the channel
15:25
wescotte
joined the channel
15:51
intracube
left the channel
15:52
Rebelj12a
joined the channel
15:57
intracube
joined the channel
16:03
intracube
left the channel
16:08
intracube
joined the channel
16:11
troy_s
Phabricator doesn't seem to allow uploading files from mobile.
16:19
Bertl
do you get an error message?
16:29
troy_s
Bertl: Only way is drag and drop and well...
16:29
troy_s
No way (that is clear) to get a browser window
16:32
Bertl
hmm?
16:32
Bertl
please file a bug report with a short description
16:32
Bertl
best assign it to phillipe
16:34
troy_s
Okie
16:35
troy_s
Bertl: Is the bug report enabled on Phab yet?
16:35
Bertl
yes, it should be
16:36
troy_s
Ugh.
16:36
troy_s
Phabricator navigation is awful
16:36
Bertl
there is a commandline interface :)
16:37
Rebelj12a2
joined the channel
16:39
troy_s
Bertl: is a task a bug or is there a special area?
16:39
Rebelj12a
changed nick to: Guest10678
16:39
Guest10678
left the channel
16:39
Rebelj12a2
changed nick to: rebelj12a
17:26
Bertl
troy_s: AFAIK it is the same
17:32
se6astian|away
changed nick to: se6astian
18:01
se6astian
good evening
18:17
intracube
left the channel
18:17
Bertl
evening se6astian!
18:18
__anton__
joined the channel
18:19
intracube
joined the channel
18:39
Rebelj12a2
joined the channel
18:39
Rebelj12a2
left the channel
18:39
Rebelj12a2
joined the channel
18:39
rebelj12a
left the channel
18:39
Rebelj12a2
changed nick to: rebelj12a
19:03
daFred
joined the channel
19:03
daFred
hello
19:05
daFred
se6astian: what do you want to mill with the CNC Mill?
19:09
Bertl
evening daFred!
19:12
se6astian
aluminum prototypes of the lens mount and enclosure for example
19:12
se6astian
or potentially also production parts later on
19:12
se6astian
still undecided about that
19:14
se6astian
the http://www.pocketnc.com/products/ looks ideal from the concept
19:15
se6astian
buts its not available yet and probably will not be until mid 2015
19:15
se6astian
they are preparing a crowdfunding campaign :)
19:15
daFred
for aluminium you'll need a "real" CNC not 1000⬠toy!
19:16
daFred
yes the pocketnc looks good but they show carving pinewood...
19:17
daFred
I'm waiting for the aluminium videos :))
19:18
daFred
the body looks massive, but the rotary axis with a timing belt? I dont know!?
19:21
se6astian
agreed
19:21
se6astian
I was quite impressed by the tormach website
19:22
se6astian
http://www.tormach.com/store/index.php?app=ecom&ns=catshow&ref=PCNC1100
19:24
daFred
bcallebaut|2 said he has a "semi professional CNC" maybe he can post his opinion when he reads this.
19:25
se6astian
that would be very interesting
19:25
intracube
left the channel
19:28
daFred
we should think about the price span. We would need a lot of tools and measuring equipment. What about 2nd hand refurbished?
19:31
se6astian
2nd hand is also fine
19:31
se6astian
as long as we dont have to start repairing it right away :)
19:39
intracube
joined the channel
19:40
daFred
the PCNC1100 looks good, the 8k5 will sum up to 20k to begin to work...
19:42
se6astian
yes
19:42
se6astian
still cheaper than haas minimill starting at 27kâ¬
19:42
se6astian
without 4th axis :)
19:43
daFred
but the don't need an externel PC :))
19:44
se6astian
the PC is the least of my worries :)
19:56
daFred
maybe tomorrow I find the time to go to planche.at (used machines) in Böheimkirchen
19:59
se6astian
great
19:59
se6astian
maybe this?
19:59
se6astian
http://karner-dechow.at/ufItemInfo.aspx?a_id=502&i_id=62103&s_id=0
20:02
se6astian
they have lots of old manual mills
20:02
intracube
left the channel
20:03
se6astian
not sure if we want to get ourselves into trying to retrofit them....
20:03
se6astian
tempting though :)
20:06
daFred
i don't think so... we have other things to do..
20:06
se6astian
agreed
20:09
se6astian
looked through their website offers nothing really interesting for us
20:09
se6astian
only stuff that would require lots of work :)
20:12
rebelj12a
CNC mills mmmm
20:12
rebelj12a
Although I'd rather have a 3d printer and do cast forging but for smaller pieces that's less than ideal.
20:15
intracube
joined the channel
20:15
daFred
cast forging and 3d printer? tell us about it
21:53
g3gg0
left the channel
22:03
aombk
maybe you should designe a test object and calculate the cost of manufacture with various techniques
22:03
aombk
too much material is wasted on mills and cncs
22:22
Rebelj12a2
joined the channel
22:24
rebelj12a
left the channel
22:34
wescotte
Are you guys planning on going touchscreen on the LCDs?
22:35
wescotte
Is there a specific UI lib you're planning on using?
22:36
Bertl
touchscreen is not planned but might happen
22:36
Bertl
no specific UI lib yet
22:38
wescotte
I assume you guys want something light weight for the UI toolkit?
22:39
Bertl
I assume so too :)
22:41
wescotte
err I mean do you think you need something lighter than gtk/qt?
22:42
Bertl
yes, I doubt gtk will run well on a microprocessor
22:42
wescotte
no X either?
22:43
Bertl
most likely no X either, yes
22:44
wescotte
SDL or something directly on top of OpenGL?
22:45
Bertl
I really doubt we will find an LCD which has OpenGL support :)
22:46
wescotte
huh?
22:47
Bertl
do you know a reasonably priced one?
22:47
wescotte
I don't follow... What does does the LCD have to do with OpenGL?
22:47
se6astian
time to go to bed
22:47
se6astian
good night
22:48
se6astian
changed nick to: se6astian|away
22:48
Bertl
wescotte: who would do the OpenGL then?
22:48
wescotte
cpu/gpu?
22:48
Bertl
what GPU?
22:48
Rebelj12a2
left the channel
22:48
Rebelj12a
joined the channel
22:49
wescotte
If there was a gpu. I thought I read one of the possible SOC options had a GPU
22:49
wescotte
maybe I was wrong
22:50
Bertl
no GPU involved, and depending on what LCD we are talking about, it will most likely be controlled by the PIC32 microcontroller
22:50
Bertl
if you want to run MesaGL on that, it will probably end up being _very_ slow
22:53
Bertl
what would you want/need OpenGL for on the LCD, btw?
22:54
Rebelj12a
Yeah do you need openGL?
22:54
Rebelj12a
I was thinking for lightweight display software HTML5 might even be feasible. Its just an overlay.
22:55
wescotte
se6astian|away: You have a broken link on the website. The banner on top that changes... When it displays the Alpha/Beta/Gamma with Developemnt/Goal/Image Sensor/Resolution/Output... it's a broken link to https://axiom/
22:55
Bertl
please file a bug (task) on lab.apertus.org and assign it to se6astian
22:56
wescotte
Rebelj12a: I think the resources for any HTML5 browser might require a powerful UI widget lib too.
22:56
Rebelj12a
Using a streaming html5 webm image might reduce processor load or at least data transfer.
22:57
Rebelj12a
Would it? I mean alot of websites and mobile are turning to webm so im not so sure about that. They are using it because of the low overhead on mobile apps
22:57
Rebelj12a
er mobile browsers
22:57
wescotte
most mobile browsers are GPU backed these days I think
22:57
daFred
left the channel
22:59
Rebelj12a
hmm